Tuesday, September 2, 2008

delicious empanadas del horno

So last night HN and I were deciding what to do. He wanted to "leave the house" and I "refused".

We settled on "active quality time" and whipped out his family cookbook and made some serious work of one of his mother's traditional Chilean recipes, empanadas del horno. This is pretty much the same recipe we used, including meat, chicken, olives, eggs and raisins. It's a better combo than it sounds like (well to me anywayit sounds pretty rank), and there are a million left over. I had one for breakfast, am eating one right now, and will probably kill another one in the name of dinner. There is nothing about a hand carried pocket full of meat that I don't like. and now not only do I have another skill to add to my domestic goddess resume (now stretching into multiple pages) but we have a ton of meat and olives leftover for another one of my chilean favorite dishes, pastel de choclo. (I just realized while surfing for a good recipe that it's basically shepherd's pie from another region. Makes a lot of sense why I love it)

I could eat that stuff all day long and die happy at the end. Neither of these recipes is "right on" but both are pretty close. The ones HN has call for special Chilean spices that his mother brings up every time she comes to visit, although I think the main one is basically a mix of Oregano, Cumin, Paprika, and 2 kinds of Pepper. I should have blogged the empanadas but I didn't. I WILL take pics of the pastel though, because we're going to make it in Chilean dishes and it will be gorgeous.

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

Oh man, you're better than good. No thanks honey, no leaving the house for me. I'd rather not go anywhere. Refusing? Me? No no no silly! I just thought we could break out your family cook book and have some nice down home quality time right here just the two of us!

Dude, next time borrow someone's baby or something. That would be so much more family-esque! Only make him burp it and change the diapers while you rub your temples. That way he can truly get a feel for it.