Thursday, February 11, 2010

Death, destruction, madness, mayhem!

Just kidding. The most exciting thing I have going on right now is waiting for the UPS man to bring me my new toy.

For those of you who don't live close enough to listen to me prattle on incessantly about the pros and cons of 1001 digital cameras as I struggle to make a decision, I envy you. For those of you who do (or who don't but who do deal with 100001 IMs on the subject) and answer my fifty jillion "yeah but, what about...?" questions, you'll be relieved to know that I finally just pulled the trigger and did it. Le Sigh. According to amazon, my shit should be arriving shortly- like today, which is why I find myself glued to the front door every time I hear a truck. What if it's them!? I couldn't bear it if I got up to shower, or you know, do something productive and they came while I was gone and then I had to wait another day for my camera*.

I was really hoping to get some pictures of the great storm of o'10 while the proof still exists. I am for truth GUTTED that I wasn't able to capture the whiteout conditions or the 45 mph winds we had yesterday. They were absolutely unreal, as was HN's motivation to strap on his snowshoes and go bounding around the woods in the 7 degree temps just to "see what it's like out there"- not once but 3 times, for about an hour each go. Fortunately or un-, I was in fact trapped by the phone ringing for work and the dueling with this virus thing on my computer and wasn't able to join him, which ended up being ok because I remembered that I don't like 7 degrees that much when the 0 is in front of it and not after. Dog and I did make one attempt to check it out but were both blown back into the house pretty quickly, really only reinforcing my belief that we are meant to be together. I LOVE a dog who would rather hang out under a blanket than be out in that crud. There's a woman 2 doors up with a big fat lab and that dude loves a snowstorm. She has to take him out for hours every blizzard elsewise he freaks out and bes all sad and whining at the door. Star doesn't mind snow but with the wind as it was yesterday she immediately began pulling to go back in the house. I dragged her up the block to be sure, and it was confirmed. HN didn't believe me and even tried to take her snowshoeing with him and she ditched his broke ass and hightailed it home. What's up now? Clearly, he needs to find his own soul-dog because this is not the droid he's looking for.

Eventually my epic battles with the computer virus I picked up somewhere in the nether regions of the internet came to fruition, and as of this morning I seem to have gotten the last pesky registry entry out. Fingers crossed, but I'm not betting anything valuable on it. And thank god too, because that really was a bit of work. I can't believe people even choose just to do security for a living: it was *exhausting!* Hours and hours of work, that pretty much precludes doing anything except sitting there ready to push the "yeah, go ahead and delete that" button whenever the scan found something, or being ready to reboot into safe mode for the thousandth time a day. Not having internet and being all snowed in and crap, I really would have imagined I'd have a pile of knitting or sewing (which I guess I could have except I didn't have the zippers I needed, so I couldn't) or something to show for it but I got nothing. Mildly embarrassing, but I'm moving on.


Anyhow,by today we're thawing out and not that 4 feet of snow goes anywhere fast, but it is melting little by little as the temps rise. I estimate the Saturn should be visible again inside of a week.

More to come.


* Since we were on the subject I just popped over to UPS (again) to check the status and now it's delayed due to adverse weather conditions. Pussies. Who's even afraid of a little snow on the ground? And is there even any IN kentucky? UPS needs to put on it's big boy pants and get a move on. (let us steer away from discussions about the fault being mine for waiting so long to order it in the first place. Seriously, don't be like that.)

No comments: