Saturday, April 24, 2010

Stifling one's natural urges

The Sun and I: We are best friends!

So here I am, feeling a bit like Milton the Early Riser. I remember checking that book out from the library every week for like a year when I was little- my mother thought it would give me ideas for something to do in the 3 hours between when I woke up and when the rest of the world started moving (I was banned BANNED I say from using the phone before 9 due to a number of complaints from friend's parents because NO SUSIE IS NOT AWAKE YET IT IS 7AM AND CAN I SPEAK TO YOUR MOTHER? "Sure, I'll go wake her up!"). I also remember memorizing it, then checking out the copy with the Braille page overlays and convincing household visitors that I had learned to read Braille (hint: throw in a couple of mistakes, but catch yourself before you go on). I further remember being late on returning it to the library and getting a stern letter about fines and such and freaking out that I was going to get arrested and spend my life in jail and not being able to sleep until my mother took me to the library to return it.

But I digress. I've been up for almost 2 hours now, even the dog won't get up. I spent some time staring hard at HN to see if I could will him awake, but he's had a long week and is sleeping like John f'ing Henry this morning. I made a serious production about getting up- shades pulled up, windows opened, loud stretching bedside. No luck. I made coffee and banged around, cleaned the kitchen, got our morning plans ready and have organized my thoughts and my day, set my intentions and made lists of what I need to buy to fulfill those. and still everyone sleeps. Cat got up with me for a bit but went back downstairs. On a normal day, I'd just be out and about already, making shit happen. Well, except that nothing is open yet, but I can do a mean window shop in this joint. I could walk down the street to an awesome threepeat yard sale, because that dude gets up at like 6 but that would be rude, since HN and I have planned some things for today and that being one of them it just seems rude to go without.

but sitting at the computer is for p*ssies. I'm going to dig something up in the garden methinks!

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

when i finally have somewhere larger than 2x2 to muck about in, we are going to have a garden off which could lead to a picture off. add mr. neighbor in on the deal if he thinks he can handle it... i know i'm cheating with the whole fl put it in the ground and stand back lest you be crushed by the rapidly growing foliage, but keep in mind i have never grown food because my consumption plant life is a magnet for pestilence. also, i don't live with doctor biology or what not.