Thursday, July 8, 2010

Update in pictures

Sensing a theme here?

This is what I do when I should be working. Today I should be working working and packing if not that.

So anyway, you've seen the domestic bliss that was created when JG stormed the castle. In the aftermath, a Williams-Sonoma housewarming package showed up, and inside was this completely gratuitous yet necessary Tarte Tatin pan. I didn't have any apples, but what I did have was 4 lbs of Raspberries because HN's sister and I snuck out of work early and went berry picking.

I decided in the name of science that raspberry buttermilk upside down cake was in order.

I was so right.

Here are the berries simmering on the stove in the top of the pan.


This is a fancy clay pan and goes right on the flame.


Then once berries are done, pour cake batter on top and pop the whole thing into the oven. This is a big part of the appeal.


Flip, take a piece as big as my head, et voila!

Black raspberries might not photograph well but they ROCK MY WORLD.



THEN, JH#1 rolled on up and as we were trolling antique and junk stores on the avenue I tripped over this little beauty. It's a batik stamp, and I had JUST given up the dream when I found a small stash of them in Charlotte Elliot. I should have known.


Being a creature of impulse, and also having moral support to try something new in town I grabbed some rags, a couple of easy dye packets and got to it. Having JH#1 manning the google to counter any problems and egg me on was clutch.


Boiling out the wax kind of sucked it, but I used my giant canning pan, which doesnt have to be soo clean. HN's dad has a HUGE one at home that I have my eye on. His mom used to dye stuff and this is leftover of her supplies.


It came out nice, I wish I had done it on something other than a rag now. Oh well, I will. I have a big idea for this, but it will have to wait for my trip to pass.



My porch has been invaded by praying manti. I believe HN may have done this deliberately, but it's ok as you can see they are making themselves useful.


THEN JH#1 and I (and this is why she's #1) channeled my anxiety, pulled the cord and made a decision. We got some take out pottery from the paint your own place and I supervised while she did the dirty work.

They match one of my Chile mugs, and they please me immensely. I hope to be able to post a link to Lise soon. She made the original mug, and my birds are blatant ripoffs and copies of hers.


Giant sunflowers! Blooming! and facing east, which is the opposite way of the house. Doh! I had heard they faced east but the leaves follow the sun and I figured the flower would too. Nope. The flower sets up and stays facing east. It's pretty neat to see, if not a bit of a bummer since I only see sunflower ass from my house. now we know!


And tomatoes bloom. and bloom. and bloom some more. All sizes, all shapes, all AWESOME.



So that's what's new in my neck of the woods. I'll be wordier later, but I'm meant to pack for Portland etc today. Gah.







No comments: