Monday, June 25, 2007

i dont want to and you cant make me

ok, perhaps they can. anyhow, the title of my post refers to the fact that this is supposed to be my first day back at work after 2 weeks off. 2 weeks off is just trouble, because it gives me enough time to completely forget about the fact that i even have to work for a living at all and move on with my life. it's like a breakup, where at first you feel a little weird not having that other entity around, then you get used to it and finally you love it so much you can't ever imagine going back. and that was just the first 3 days. the remaining 11 were just plain heaven, i LOVE not working. i will say it again I LOVE NOT WORKING. there are people who are attached to and validated by their careers and the fact that they do something and contribute things, etc etc etc.

i am not one of them.

i can quite happily fill up my days with nothing other than leisure activities, housework and cooking. and visiting poor suckers who do work. i've done this before and never been happier, dreamy sigh...money without having to work. perhaps i will buy a lotto ticket today; just in case today is the day.

vacations, and this is a plus that can not be ignored. anyhow, the upshot of working for a living is that it does help to finance some pretty badassi've been back from central america for a week now, and already i want to go back. for like a month. to this end, i've decided i'm going to locate a spanish class locally to take (in addition to the spanish teaching podcasts i listened to all the way home from boston. i have hellos down pat. at least in the car anyway. now to subject some spanish speakers to them and see if it works out loud in public as well) i am also going to be relentlessly subjecting any spanish speakers i know to my efforts. i figure working with friendly folks is a good way to start out, that way if i accidentally say something like "your mother dresses like a pig" when i mean "so pleased to meet you", i have half a chance of walking away without a black eye.

the upshot of vacation being over is that i am back home, which is funny because i was having so much fun i didnt think i missed home, but here i am, and all "aaah" and stuff. it was nice to sleep in my own bed (even though my cat is near hysterical with joy at having me back and has literally set a world record in SCREAMING which was flattering until about 2am and just annoying thereafter) and this morning when i woke up there was no wondering where i was going to get a proper coffee, or being sad that i had to get dressed to make said coffee imbibement happen. nope, i just sidled downstairs in my pjs and made what i already knew would be a delicious just right made-for-me cup o ' joe.

the downside of vacation being over is that vacation is over. sigh. i still have not had the courage to log on and download my work e-mails because 2 weeks is a long time and i am a little scared. but i know i can do it, and more to the point i know i have to. i know this because my boss already called me last week, allegedly to tell me they missed me at work which i read to mean "get back to work dammit, your grunt work bores us" (i make teleconferences fun, what with all the barking and meow-howling and hushed yelling that goes on at my end of the line, punctuated by the occasional pop/fizz of me opening a frosty beverage that noone is 100% sure is not a beer but is more usually diet coke)

the last 2 weeks have been awesome, because in addition to the adventure filled central american part there was much hanging out and carrying on with both my asian and my lady friends, which is something i haven't had since the holidays and desparately needed. and i could literally talk all day about all that went on (and perhaps in a desperate attempt to avoid work later i may try it) but for now i have to press the connect button in my outlook. and i need to go outside while that happens, because if i dont i will obsessively watch the little blue number next to my inbox inflate and thats just no way to live.

happy monday party people.

p.s. i love parentheses and i am not ashamed (not even a little)!

2 comments:

The Great Explorer said...

Welcome back. We missed you here at the blog. And I so don't mean that in a get back to blogging way.

Ichiro A said...

Ahhh how I miss the days of unemployment... I HAVE to figure out how to get a boat load of cash and not have to work a 9-5. I (we) are just not built for that. BTW You talk about all this cool stuff Kitty does (Screaming when you get home...etc) your cool cell phone has a video camera! use it! :)