Monday, June 30, 2008

Post office worker like outburst imminent

I could go on all day about how sick I am of getting snide answers when asking for help. I'll have to go on for just a few minutes, but I'll cut it short because I have gone through anger and come out on the other side completely unable to give any more of a shit. A large portion of The Snide is coming from my own company, which makes it even more aggravating. For some reason, there is a huge discord between the UK and US offices, so that when I ask for help from the UK what I get back is snide answers, and either a handoff to someone else who doesn't give a shit, or a referral to some process document that i never knew existed and don't know how to follow, coupled with silence when I ask for help in understanding said document so that I might learn to follow said process. It peaked last week when I snided back at someone and was told he "did not like the tone of voice he read in my email" I give a fuck. I responded in kind, we exchanged obnoxious escalating emails and then I hit The Point Where I Don't Care Anymore.

I have also hit this point this morning. Had a bunch of stupid NSI shit to do this weekend, and lo and behold remote access isn't working (for a change) so I had to go in and spend half of Saturday kicking off an import. I couldn't get in last night either, so I roll into the joint around 5am this morning to clean up my db, take a backup and contact the DBA like I always do when we run this shit (we have run this thing 7 -SEVEN- times. The last time should have been the one, but since they are so far behind the times they still use Enterprise Manager to manage SQL2K databases, she couldn't terminate a lone connection to the DB and so was unable to restore the backup that I had spent THAT whole weekend creating) Instead of the usual "I can't figure this out" I get back "I'm busy this morning. I waited up until midnight last night and you didn't call. Tough luck" wtf? I started to get very angry, because quite frankly it's a bunch of bullshit. It takes roughly 30 seconds to kick off a restore. She could do it and jump in the shower. She could let me do. She could JUST FUCKING DO IT. I will go 50/50 with her on the I didn't call her last night. I didn't. Nor did she call me to ask what was up or what I was doing. Nor did she tell me she wouldn't be able to do the restore this morning, like we always do. In reviewing the whole clusterfuck that has been this project, I realize this is just another drop in the bucket. Deep breaths. This time next week I will be on vacation, so they can all kiss my sweet white ass.

Speaking of vacation: itinerary somewhat mapped out.

So far it's looking like:

July 10&11, spend the night in Anchorage. Spend the day of the 11 trying to find somewhere to leave some rations so we don't have to carry them all around.
July 12 Fancy train to Denali. Oooh, aaah.
July 12,13,14,15,16; Backpacking in da wilderness yo.
July 17 Back to Anchorage. Don't put coffee on, we're not staying. Grab whatever food we have managed to stow and head south. Camp roadside or hitch hike somewhere interesting. Depends on the luck.
July 18 Night in Valdez hopefully
July 19 Arrive in Cordova
July 20 Night in Cordova
July 21 Cabin beeatch!
July 22 See July 21
July 23 Night in Cordova (I hope Cordova doesn't suck!)
July 24 Alaska Marine Highway Ferry transport to Whittier
Kick it in Whittier for 7 hours
Train to Anchorage
Crash at Hostel
July 25 Homeward bound!

And now for total non sequitur. I emptied my camera phone, see below.


My AWESOME new hat

HNs pretty little ikea plant blooms!


serious wardrobe apathy, HN style.

Star on our last car ride. That's my special girl!


Catastrophic failure! Sounds like Monday to me!



Artist's rendering of my hat. This is probably what it will look like in Alaska. As you can see, there are bears and moose and bald eagles this time of year.

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

Wtf is Star doing? Is this the usual seating arrangement?

Fabulous hat.

Your trip is going to be out of this world. Have a Blast.