Monday, August 18, 2008

I've got a fever....

and the only cure is more sewing! Seriously, I have the sewing bug big time. I'm working on 2 bigger (i.e., more than one day to finish) projects, and have thrown in a gimme here and there when I start to get antsy for something finished. I have discovered through a long and painful process that this "sewing of the quickie" is the best way for me to get over my need for speed without ruining whatever labor intensive process caused the itch in the first place. This is my goto gratification thinger.

I now have about 6 of these in a variety of sizes, and they get progressively closer to being square with each one I make. Measuring really makes a difference! I was never much of a believer before, but I'm on board now. The pouches work rather well for holding pieces of sewing and knitting projects, to keep everything together and mostly free of pet hair.

One of my projects involves the fabrics below. Girly, but not nauseating. Not quite my style but right up the alley of the person I'm making it for, and also it's experience. (HN's mother and I are now penpals and she is a mad quilter. I mentioned to her that I was giving a go at quilting and she offered to have a few lessons with me when she comes to town next. In preparation for this, I'm trying to learn how to sew any sort of respectable straight line so I don't look like a total tool)

So anyhow, here's the fat quarter bundle I impulse purchased and am now trying to wrangle into something not ugly. Hopefully I will have a work in progress pic or two to share soon. I just have to find a camera to take the pictures with...

I'm not following a pattern, I'm making it up. My new technique for making up patterns goes thusly:
1)Cut out a bunch of pieces and begin to sew some of them together, as for bedroom quilt.
2)Get bored of this.
3)Decide I don't love the person for whom I'm making the quilt enough to cut out 1,000 pieces again, and also this material just wouldn't carry.
4)Curse, because other than traditional (and not my bag at ALL) quilt squares, and the patchwork/crazy thing from bedroom quilt, I have no experience to draw on when doing this. 5)Stand back and look at pieces already sewn.
6)Go lie down or read or do something else to get the conscious mind off the task at hand.
7)Wait for square based visions to insert themselves into unaware psyche. *
8)Go make that thing.

*I'm basically trying to see how far I can get through life without having to sew curves or be "very specific" in measurements. So far, so good.

Other than that not much to report these days. Work is busy but good, with enough variation to keep me awake. We installed a new wide angle camera at NSI last week, which was cool. It's a camera I've never worked with before and the Canon guy came down and helped me install and put it together so I got trained by the pros. It also has a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II on the back of it. 16.7 Megapixels of wide angle retina goodness. The pictures are stunning, stunning I tell you! I'll purloin one this week and post, you should really see this shit. And the time away in AK did a lot of good in terms of recharging my batteries so that I'm excited about the project again. It's still a giant pain in the ass, and the people involved are still ridiculous, and the database is being a mild pain but overall when I think of the breadth of this project and how it's going to wind through 5 major departments in the hospital, and all of the different people who will use the software and system for all of the different things, I am stoked. Someone commented last week on how nice it was that I was still excited about it, and I told him I would drag these fuckers kicking and screaming all the way to paradise. And I believe I will.


HN is back in town and the camera has survived. However, now there is no cord to connect camera to pc, how frustrating! So close, but so far. My camera has gone AWOL so there is no choice to transfer card to camera for which I have cable. So I have just been reviewing the pics in miniature and grinding my teeth. Soon me hopes.


And with that I'm off to my Monday business. Lots of working from home this week, so expect lots of updating.

No comments: