Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday Vignette

aka, the instant cycling of my karma:

The scene: Friday afternoon, I'm a little annoyed (I forget why. Sometimes I'm just bitchy like that) Going to Home Depot to get a plant because I've decided today is the day the big bathroom becomes a real bathroom. Now that it's warming up some, it's possible to do things in the uninsulated side of the house. Get to Home Depot and decide I want *that* parking space. The one with 2 giant trucks one either side, and not enough room for me. Sigh...

Me, suddenly convinced my 11 year old car corners like it's on rails: "fuck those guys. who do they think they are, space hogging? I deserve to park here too. I'm going for it"
Karma: "Oh really bitch?"
Car: BOOM! as I drive into one of said big trucks.

Me: Sigh...( I had that one coming.) I hate knowing I had something coming. I hate it more when I get what I had coming.

So I go off and find another spot to park, dig around for some paper to write a note on and head back to the scene of the crime. There is a man there unloading a pallet of bricks into the back, so I grit my teeth, muster up my most winningest smile and shuffle over.

Me: Hi (BIG GRIN)
Man: Umm hi. (eyes saying "what do you want? Is she a beggar? Is she crazy? Might I ever have gotten her pregnant?")
Me: So. I just drove into your car. *Smile*
Man: What?
Me: That car right there?
Man: Yes (looking at truck)
Me: *big smile* I just drove into it. Drove Right Into It! (pantomine collision with fist and palm) *smile*
Man: Oh. (looking at car, not much to see) Well, thanks.
Me: Well, I didn't do it on purpose, but you're welcome. I was trying to park.
Man: No, no. Thanks for telling me.
Me: No problem. I figured if I'm going to drive into your car, the least I could do was come say hi.
Man: oh. Well thanks anyway, I appreciate it. I think it's fine though. I think you drove into the tire.
Me*: Well then take my number. If the tire blows up on your way home or something, give me a call and I'll buy you a new one.
Man: (taking number, still not convinced I'm not begging for money or something) Oh. Well, thanks. Have a good weekend. Thanks again, I hope this nets you some good karma.

Karma: Fat chance. This wipes the slate clean, but remember me bitch. I'm always here.
Me: Fuck you karma. I know, I had that coming. I'm glad we're even and I won't drive angry.

Remember: Don't drive angry!

* Sigh. I firmly believe no good deed goes unpunished. All I could think was this dude was going to let me off the hook and then on his way home get a flat and have no recourse, it being his own fault for not getting my info. So, I guess in the end I'd rather put myself at risk for the punishment of doing the good deed of giving him my number, than put it on him. After all, it was totally my fault I drove into his car. I mean, it did jump right out at me and all, but whatever.

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

The fact you did it face to face probably did a heap of good. More so than the note I am sure. Not only that, but you clearly made that guys day. I mean, think about it... being approached by little old smiley you. *sigh*