Monday, June 22, 2009

how does YOUR garden grow?

It's that time of year kids. Get ready for the countdown of harvestables, pictures to follow.

So far I've begun the drying with some basil, oregano, lavender, spearmint, regular mint. Nevermind that other than the lavender this shit will be growing all summer long so I have no need to bother drying yet. It makes me feel safe and ready if I just have stuff around. Ready for what you ask? I don't know: the revolution? I will greet the onslaught with infused oils ? Who knows. I just know that it makes me feel better and so it begins. Someone who didn't know better would think I was either a witch or 110 because I just have shit hanging all over the house in various stages of drying.

I've also been suffering from coveting the garden of FFFO. She has an established 10 yr old garden which is AWESOME and a new plot she's set up with all kinds of squash, and potatoes like you read about. Le Sigh... I'm seriously contemplating just "dropping" some squash seeds somewhere random and looking surprised when squash results. The plot my garden is in kind of sucks, although I have 6 cayenne plants going gangbusters, and more cherry tomato plants than anyone needs. I see some pickling in my future.

Speaking of pickling, I had a canning frenzy this weekend. Watching her raspberries over ripen and drop off (and thinking about stealing them under cover of dark then discarding the idea as probably bad) and NOT be made into preserves by me, I went for the next best thing which was random roadside berry huts. Ubiquitous around here thankfully, so I got a bunch of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and some pickling cukes. 14 jars of jelly and 4 pints of pickles later I was able to rest. I don't know how good any of it came out though, because I have 3 open jars of jam in the fridge right now and can't really justify opening more (one of them might have an "accident" soon though, I'll keep you tuned) and the pickles have to sit for 8 weeks.

8 WEEKS! Birthday pickles for me! yay?

Here's one batch of my preserves.

If I don't die of botulism upon consumption, I'll post a taste review once my grandmother opens hers up. Oh yeah, jelly for everyone!

No comments: