Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Holy Crap

So lots of days when the dog(s) and I go down to the pond for the workday seventh inning stretch, we flush out this beautiful heron that's hanging out. I think he was using us as a layover for a while, because he just appeared a couple of weeks ago, he was def not there the whole time. Unless he followed HN home from work, because he has one there too. But I digress...

Anyhow, so when dogs and I go down there, we have on numerous occasions disturbed his nap and peace of life so he takes off, which is an awesome sight. He's HUGE and the pond is small so in the scale he sort of looks like a raptor and he does these crazy slow, looooong wing beats and just makes some serious TIME! His feet drag in the water and he just goes up the littlest bit at a time as he heads over the bushes into the golf course. AMAZING sight, and everytime I am totally shocked and rendered speechless (as opposed to the running conversation I am no doubt carrying on with my imaginary friend come to life the dog)

I bring my camera with me all the time, and I have NEVER managed to get a picture of him. Ever. By the time I recover from how awesome he is, he's gone.

Today was no exception.

BUT, he did take a crap while he was heading off and I managed to get a picture of that so you have some idea of his size.

My foot for scale (it's UGG time hos!!):

No comments: