Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Know the basics of TORNADO SAFETY and have a PLAN TO SURVIVE!

My hat don't match- anything I own or even really itself- , but I'm using up scrap yarn of a mix that's no longer available, so I'll never have enough of one color to make anything else. It's super warm, plus it's in support of my whole "using up what I have around" campaign. I'm also donating absurd amounts of shit to goodwill as I clean, but I digress.

It's my kind of ugly, kind of shaggy, a little too big hat and I love it just the way it is!


Moving goes on, packing up the little stuff and coming up with a new idea of "what can I live without?" It's hard but I'm doing it. We are seriously downsizing, so it's really and truly necessary but also I just look around and feel like I have too much shit so it's like "not really but really to me" necessary as well.

When I'm not packing and hauling and need to keep warm, I can be found curled up in my chair like a lizard with a heating pad on my back; wearing hat, poncho, fingerless gloves, and windows old ass antique space heater type laptop to keep me warm. I am at war with Mother Nature. Or the oil company, but Mother Nature sounds better. Anyhow, now that we're moving out for some reason I am reluctant to waste oil heating the joint. It's pretty intense, but I think I'm winning!

The dog and cat have given it up completely and now huddle for warmth. I've got a car full of plants going down to the new place because they're starting to struggle with the cold here.

You might have noticed all the bread lately (or have you? Have I been mentioning it here?) That's a devious plan of mine to actually heat the kitchen without being totally welfare about it. See, because if the oven is on for something legit and just happens to heat the kitchen, its serendipitous. If you're huddling over the open/on oven to defrost your hands, you have a problem.

I've also seasoned all my cast iron pans between loaves. Yahoo!

Did you hear about the sword crime in Baltimore? I can't believe I didn't mention this yet. It was right near HN's sister's house, and their neighborhood was buzzing about it. All I can think of is Napoleon Dynamites across the country, the dudes who wear wolf t shirts and go to those weird hotel knife shows and say things like "I have a SAMURAI SWORD for protection" now have ammo when you them the with the inevitable "Why?"

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

I want to be all oh my goodness what will they think of next but a friend of a friend once drew a sword from under the seat of his car when he saw the dude he thought his girl was cheating with. Chased him around a bit and made what was I hear a pretty great show for on lookers. Then of course there was the machete bit outside of my old Medford apartment. Do you remember that day?

I don't know whether to be excited or horrified that the same stories that shock others put me into ah the memories nostalgia land. I'm sticking with excited for now.