Thursday, January 22, 2009

Know how I know you're old? You love cookware!

Lots of excitement here at Chez Flux.

8 days until the big move, crops and chickens are being decided upon as you read this. Not a lot of progress in the packing dept. HN's dad is in town this weekend, and I have high hopes this will motivate the packing. Purging continues though, and let me introduce you to the brief version of the saga of the couch, presented as a stepwise series of decisions and situations:

-pitch fit. Decide it does not "feel like I'm moving". Decide only solution is to be rid of everything I'm not taking with me.
-This means couch.
-Post ad on Craigslist, offering couch for free.
-Harbor hideously optimistic thoughts like "This should be easy"
-knock on wood (I forgot this step)
-Entertain mails from couch suitor #1. Enter into witty banter, set up time for him to come get couch.
-Wait, as that time comes and goes...
-Next day: receive apologetic email from CS#1. Grant request that he be forgiven and allowed to come get couch today.
-Wait, as that time comes and goes...
-Mail from CS#1. Universe has recommended he not take couch. Please give couch to someone else.
-Le Sigh.
-Call Salvation Army to schedule pickup, move couch onto front porch in anticipation of said pickup.
-Next day ensues awkward phone call with Salvation Army as they explain that my couch is beneath them and they are not taking it. How depressing! (I told them that it all made me feel very bad about myself)
-Couch Angel knocks at door late night, asking if he can have couch. Mild discomfort at my enthusiasm over his taking couch, but he agrees to take couch and leaves with half the cushions on foot.
-Couch Angel returns at agreed upon time to take couch, and a bunch of other crap I had that I didn't want. Yay!
-Couch Angel also shares personality trait of thinking just about anything can be tied to the roof with those things you buy at the grocery store. I hear you man! I believe!
-Success! Gone = couch, cart, old film camera back that I didn't want but felt bad getting rid of so I've been lugging it around forever. He had THE SAME MODEL and it broke and he couldnt find another one. Clearly the universe was right. This was where the couch need be going.

No comments: