Monday, January 26, 2009

What's different about you?

So, I'll start with me.

Firstly, I'm potentially living out of a box truck as of this weekend, just as soon as I'm done living out of a box truck for the week.

Farm negotiations appear to be going downhill rapidly. Late last week, HN and I received a nastygram from Former Friend the Farm Owner (FFFO). Said nastygram said things like "Are you even moving in? I don't even know if you're moving in Feb 1, but I guess you think you are because I just heard people are helping you move in" HN and I were both a bit caught off guard by this, as not only had we been to the farm on several occasions to help with home improvements and painting, but we have begun moving things into the basement, which both FFFO and her partner knew about. Also puzzling was the fact that they had never called to express confusion, or ask if we were moving in, nor did FFFO say anything to HN when she saw him at work ALL THE TIME. Admittedly, this has been a casual business. We all had one conversation about the move in date, and HN and myself considered the matter done and dusted, which apparently FFFO and co. did not. So we owned up to our 50% of the blame, not following up with her to formalize anything in writing and then waited for her to be gracious and take her 50%, because they never called, wrote or asked in person what was going on. There was not satisfaction to be had here however, as FFFO considers the matter entirely our fault, and herself above blame. So that was our jumping off point for getting the lease together. We got our burly ass lease Friday, and made arrangements to discuss in person on Sat.

In particular, HN and I were troubled by the fact that the lease only went until July. A period of 5 mos. Hmm said we. So Sat came, and we went, to discuss with FFFO and her partner that we were confused by this as well. Turns out, there had been another misunderstanding between her and HN. Once we cleared that up and indicated we had hoped to live there for a few years, not a few months, FFFO revealed what I believe is the real issue underneath all of the bullshit. The she has something cooking, that should come to fruition in July and she would get more money out of the house that way, so she isn't going to cut us any longer of a lease, although if that fell through we would be welcome to stay. She used to be a lawyer, and when discussing everything we weren't talking to our friend we were talking to the lawyer. A little frustrating to have everything you say returned with "well, it's not personal. This is business" and also "The whole misunderstanding is your fault. There's nothing for me to do about it" I would have had an easier time swallowing this line, if it had not been preceded by the whole "we were confused about whether you were moving in or not" sack of shit. I can't buy that AT ALL and so it makes everything that comes after suspect. Unfortunate.

So anyhow, after lease negotiations went downhill, there were in the end some changes she was willing to make and so nothing was signed. Each half went back to their respective corners to wait until she made the changes, etc. In discussing things later in the day, HN and decided that 5 mos just doesn't work in any way shape or form for us. We have summer plans, and moving again is not one of them. I think best case scenario, she agrees to extend the lease after the term is up, but will raise the rent. Not that it isn't worth more than we would pay, but in the beginning she said "it's worth more than we would ask you to pay, but we're cutting you a deal because we want you guys involved in this" In the face of the actual bottom line, the second half of that statement no longer appears true to them. That irks me. So now I'm not worth it? Fuck you. I'm also a little turned off of FFFO as a person, certainly as a landlord and I don't know that we want the involvement with them that this would bring. And they used to seem so appealing...

So HN and I are now on a whirlwind tour of other comparable, available properties in the area that don't come with FFFO and co breathing down our neck. We're looking at a couple today, and then HN will continue the hunt while I leave town for a few days. Then bless his heart, he's going to handle the moving out of both of our places and into whatever new place he/we manage to find in the interim.

The main thing for me is not necessarily the facts of the whole issue, but the attitude. There is no compromise with this woman, she either willfully or actually misconstrues any situation to a slant where she is the one suffering fools who are wronging or trying to wrong her and I just don't have confidence that ANY issue that would arise would or could be worked our productively. If you can't talk to someone where is there to go from there? So if one of these properties better suits our price point and needs, we'll take that and regrettably walk away from this farm deal. I'm a little bummed about it, but more about the community we thought we were getting into than the actuals of the farm itself. Any of the new places we're looking at will allow for chickens, garden, privacy, space and nature. Nothing lost there. And as for the community, well apparently that doesn't exist anyway so what we would have to lose is already lost. I do feel for HN as he works with her, and genuinely thought they were friends before all of this. He is worried about their relationship deteriorating, since she holds grudges. I told him to explain to her that this isn't personal, it's business. (I was well pleased with myself for that one. HN, not so amused)

She set the fucking precedent, we're just going with the flow.


Secondly, ROAD TRIP. Look for my photos from the open road. I'm going to get my kicks on 66, and will be stopping at a grocery store in NM to stock up on all the green chiles I can carry. My addiction was never gone, just dormant and now's my chance.

Thirdly, HOLY PACKING BATMAN. With the acceleration of my departure date, I had to do some pushing and shoving this weekend to get my things ready to go. Remember all that purging I did way back when ? How I was so proud of myself for being ahead of the game? (And I so was) Turns out, that was necessary I just didn't know it at the time. Thankfully, I knew it even though I didn't know it. So packing at the end is a little hurried and very messy, but at least I am confident that everything I am packing is something I want and that goes a long way.


So now you're caught up, sorry this is all wordy and gross. Here are some pictures to make you forget it all...


The rolling pastures. This would have been the view from our house.

The hizz-ouse

Star, adapting to country life. Black tail is Bo, they were going to be best friends.


The great room. It used to be the 2 mediocre rooms, but we took that wall down and all was well.
Also, Exhibit A in the case of KS and HN call Bullshit on FFFO's feigned confusion.


Creepy barn. Being alone on 35 acres on a rainy day is a different feeling.

This is couch angel. Sweet packing job dude. For reals.

When the water main broke, eventually so did the street.
The mouse eye view. HN blocked traffic so I could lie in the street for this.

Houseguest! She digs the changes I've been making with the place. She fled when I threw some Panko to her, I think she's common and unused to fancy food. She'll be back!

No comments: