Monday, October 20, 2008

And so it begins...

The weekend blissfully brings nothing to report. I cooked, I cleaned, I ate, I slept. I quilted.

I finally found "the idea" I was waiting for to begin my next quilt, which is for my nephew. It started like 4 months ago, when I found some sweeeet rocket fabric in happy colors. I immediately bought a fat quarter bundle, thinking this would get me going. It did not. I've been surfing, drawing and seeking inspiration in other ways (cough, cough) but have been unable to find any design I liked enough to motivate me. Well I finally hit on it the other day, and here is the artist's representation of what it should look like (give or take)


The left side will be the sweeeeet rocket fabric, to wit:
(minus the tacky bits that make it obvious that I stole this pic from someone else's website)

To that end, I cut roughly 1 trillion little things up this weekend and on Sunday when I was able to tear myself away from the sunspots in which I was lounging, I managed to get 5 blocks done:

This is my favorite block.


This is my favorite block if I decide to outline it in red (thanks Photoshop!!)

Here's what it could look like if I did blocks around them all (not all red though, I don't want little dude trippin')
In retrospect, white and 5 years old do not necessarily make good friends but it's so flipping cute I don't think I care.

p.s. for those of you who love this about me. This morning dog bit off a big chunk of her gnaw bone. I took it away from her, and dropped it off to the side in a coke can so she wouldn't chew it. At some point I got another coke. At some later point I picked up the wrong can to drink out of. Gnaw bone marinated in soda is a little bit delicious, and a lot surprising.

p.p.s.s I made this last night. It's that good.

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

Was there ever a day rocket ships didn't rule? I'm guessing not. And don't try that crap about not being invented yet. It doesn't matter, because if they had been, everyone would think they were super cool. Time lines don't matter to rocket ships. Not even a little.