Monday, October 6, 2008

The power of positive thinking

Doesn't always work.

However, sometimes it does. And so, with that I proclaim that I refuse to believe I won't be living on a farm by Christmas. I think it would be a smashing good time, and anyone with any sense couldn't think there would be better tenants/neighbors/help than myself and HN.

So, going back a bit to the rest of the weekend:

Remember the yellowjacket's nest Star and I found in August? Well HN and I had gone looking for it at one point, but were not able to locate it. Now when I run that path with Star, she refuses to step off the path to the left, so I had pretty much stopped worrying about it, as if she wasn't going to step in it, it seemed unlikely to be our problem again. Enter Orion. Star forgot to tell Orion about the yellowjacket's nest, I forgot to care about it, and we all went for a run on that path again this weekend. Stop me if you've heard this one before.... Actually, it didn't end up as bad as the first time, because although he did find it, it was in the middle of a burst of spastic gnashing through the woods so he didn't linger and wasn't stung. I, however, was lollygagging about in just the right place at the wrong time so I did get stung. Only once, which is some consolation, but right in the neck which fucking blew- it was really quite painful! I didn't have any sort of bad reaction it, but I did have some swelling. I still have a very sexy lump/giant red area at the base of my throat, but I think it adds to my air of mystery.

I also finished - 2 out of 3 times- the quilt formerly known as the quilt for Stella Jr. I say 2 out of 3 times, because it STILL has a mistake in it, so I'm going to have to rip off the binding and do over AGAIN (have I mentioned how much I hate doing over? no? Oh, well I do. It's right up there with "practicing" on the list of things I hate to do. I want to google something, decide to do it, have it work and be done with it- this is a genetic condition inherited from the paternal side as evidenced by the belly laughs of my dad when I explain this to him)

I say the quilt formerly known as the quilt for Stella Jr because I have decided I'm keeping it. Yeah, I know: worst gift giver ever. But for something that is totally not my style, I sure have grown attached to it. I even named the puppy and used it as a lap quilt when reading this weekend. This, coupled with the fact that it needs to be done over, which will probably not happen anytime in the next month or so, justs illustrates to me that I need to decide it's mine and quit worrying about it. Stella would prefer a nice gift card to Babies R Us anyway I think.

Here's a picture, mistake carefully tucked out of sight:

Here is an up close so maybe you can see that with the help of stitch selection 39, i have sewn some very fancy straight lines:

And here's one for the "lessons learned register" (I am learning to speak PRINCE2)
It turns out, there is a concept of "straight" that also applies to the backing of the quilt. If you look at the left side, you can see I have very loosely indeed grasped this concept. Next time though, I'm all over this alleged straight business.

And now I guess I have to get to work, which makes me very sad because I am lazy and not motivated and also a little bit entitled this morning I think. Tomorrow, I conquer IDAHO!

No comments: