Friday, September 17, 2010

Every day

I have been a food preserving maniac this past 2 weeks. Upcoming trip notwithstanding, it's the final weeks of summer and that means the end is in sight. The end of my shelf thing on top of my counter to stop being covered with produce and fruit flies, mocking me.

I love summer for all the veggies and stuff. Now that I'm all weird and label read-y and also all "I can cook", I totally dig knowing where my stuff comes from and putting it up for the winter so I can open a jar of summer anytime I want. But summer produce-a-palooza also makes me crazy. 1) produce attracts flies. ick. fucking blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh on bugs. Seriously. I hate bugs. 2) I feel pressure to do something with it all so it doesn't get wasted. Only after like a month, I'm tired and about out of ideas, and yet there it all still is; watching me, mocking me lookatthebaby lookatthebaby. Or worse, going bad, which makes me the craziest of all. Because I'm crazy-prone.

Anyhow. The every day referred to above is the at least once a day, my kitchen gets douched and taken to a state of grace. Dishes dealt with, produce dealt with, everything put away where it belongs and stuff wiped down. Like a nice kitchen. Inevitably within 12 hours, it will look like a play-doh factory exploded. There will be food splattered all over my oven and counter, a sink full of dishes, water everywhere, and probably still more fucking produce, with the dirt that accompanies it as it's dumped out of it's garden bag onto my formerly clean counter top.

So, a nice thing about fall is that this will slow down. Then it will be back to once a week produce explosions, on market day.

Pictorial essay of the mess in my kitchen over the course of a week to follow.

1 comment:

JG said...

I feel you, ma, I feel you. . .

I can't even imagine keeping the pace for as long as you do given your fab south-of-the-Mason-Dixon growing season.

Whats awesome in June is straight bothersome come September.

Can't wait for next year!!