Thursday, November 25, 2010

All the time in the world....and I did it to myself!

So, I won't go into the details but growing up in my house Thanksgiving was always greeted with trepidation. Something ALWAYS went tits up. Illness, broken bones, fires, mental breakdowns and subsequent removal of breaking down party by the police: you could always count on at least one of the above, and in many cases several of the above concurrently. I'm not even exaggerating.

Anyhoo, it's a bit of a running joke in our family. "watch out, Thanksgiving's coming" Gobble gobble has an entirely sinister connotation in our family. Like make a dracula/giant monster "I'm coming to kill you" motion and say "Gobble gobble" Welcome to my family.

So this year my sister is talking about her grand plans. She's having the outlaws over for dinner, got a giant bird, blah blah blah.

Me? I have no plans. I am PLANNING to have NO PLANS, which may or may not consist of awesome spontaneous things like not leaving the house, eating mac and cheese, sewing, walking dog and not showering- all to be done in due course if/when I feel like doing them. HN is planning to go home to his family, I opted for staying home alone with my sewing machine, a pile of projects and a spinning head full of ideas. Yahoo right?!

My sister calls me last night to tell me her oven just broke. They ordered a new one, and it will be in Monday. We have a good, relieved laugh. When you know the shoe is going to drop, it can all get a bit tense waiting to see who will get hit with the shrapnel and I was glad it was her and she was glad it was not involving safety of loved ones (seriously. this is how we roll. Pack of hot, neurotic messes we are). She can use her neighbor's oven and so keep on keeping on while at the same time maintaining the family curse. MULTI-TASKER!

So then (and this is the part where it's my fault), at about 9pm I see HN off onto the road, take a deep breath and sit down very well pleased with myself to begin to sew. Let me back up. I do a little dance about me being home alone with all my sewing, and the twilight zone episode from whence my title comes pops into my head. I even do a little "I have all the time in the world" dance and then I immediately clap my hand over my mouth because I HAVE JUST TEMPTED FATE. F! I know this rule!! This is another big one in my family, indirectly related to when people say things like "What else could go wrong?" and then Bad Things Happen. I think we have a direct pipeline to the ears of the fates because whenever someone says it, they inevitably find out in rather short order so as a general rule noone says it, and when someone does everyone yells at them and takes 5 steps back until we see what the damage will look like. (this is actually most excellent when done in my sister's presence. She gets angry, bonafide.)

I digress. Back to me babbling about all the time in the world. I immediately regretted my error, but it was too late so I began to think about what might go wrong. I do a little sewing, hit upon the idea I was looking for and forget my sorrows. I prepare a few pieces of fabric, so I can increase productivity and do my night's work assembly line style. I line everything up, insert a test swatch into my machine to check thread tension and KABOOM! The worst noise I've ever heard my sewing machine make, followed by a little rain of metal from above. NOT GOOD.

Now it's just me, my busted glasses and a back up plan.


Backup plans. That's what I'm thankful for this year.

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

I am thinking about bringing you both machines. I use the older model for a decoration because it is so neat to look at and looks killer in the same room the Grundig goes in. But it sews leather dude. Just think about it. It's not like it's going anywhere anyway. The lefty one could just be your super awesome made especially for me back up. Think about it, your machine blows up but that's okay because you have another one made just for you and that's like avoiding catastrophe and doubling your bonus points to boot. You can temp fate and never once have to think about compromising your sewing and instead worry about every other thing possible. You're welcome. ;)