Wednesday, July 11, 2007

ohhh thank heaven, for 7-11

ha. That song is stuck in my head today, and you know that I'm spreading the love. It's nice to be able to give something back to the people though.

I've been working in an office with 3 other people since Tuesday, and I didn't know this previously, but the louder you talk during a disagreement, the more correct your point is. And apparently there's a lot of knowledge in this office, because these fuckers are screaming, ALL DAY LONG. I've finally had enough (ok, I had had enough by about 9:30 Tuesday, but now that I've finished an SOP I was working on with one of the guys I can bail) and I've been able to escape to the server room, where I'm tucked back nice and cozy with my feet up on the mail server. aaah, the soothing hum of windows space heaters. sigh. In working at home for the past 5 years, I didn't realize exactly how much I had come to value peace and quiet (and the lack of need to shower and dress before beginning work), but now I have a whole new appreciation for my personal space.

and for no other reason than to break up the text, here's a shot of the only officemate I'll ever want or need, eating carrots we picked out of the garden:


I'm in NC (because I don't think I've mentioned that to anyone), and I know people from Boston rev kind of high but I don't think I will ever really be able to understand the lax pace of the south. I heard an empassioned argument today, and it went like this (some background: it was a man and woman fighting over something he bought)
She: well I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayte it
He: well I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv it
She: well I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayte it
He:well I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuv it.

also, "well I" comes out more like "wyyy" so the real argument was "wyyy I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it" "Wyy I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv it"

5 minutes, I kid you not. I was completely transfixed and unable to look away, as were the rest of the people listening but for totally different reasons I'm sure. The people from down here thought this was an bad argument, and I was realizing exactly how different things are. like, wow. They sure do make some badass sweet tea though.

and I didn't realize this, but apparently the natives are a little bent about the influx of northerners moving down here. I was told last night that Cary stands for one of two things:
"Centralized Area for Relocated Yankees" (haaaaaaaa)
or "Crackers All 'Round Ya" (I almost spit coffee at this one. I LOVE it)

I've never been a member of so many stereotypes before, I almost feel like a little celebrity down here.

I am:
-a yankee
-a cracker
-"one of those feminists" (I think this is because I wear pants alot)
-"one of those women who just works and doesn't have babies"
-and a diet coke drinker, which is also somewhat offensive in certain circles

I just gotta be me...


and speaking of expressing oneself, is it me or is this a bit over the top? I saw this display at Barnes and Noble the other day, and you have to love the manager OKing this. and here I thought all managers at big chains were agents of "the man" and subject to things like laws and regulations. I'm not trying to cull anyone's green thumb -believe you me- but "adventures in your own backyard" ?


More later. The office atmosphere is stifling my creativity.

1 comment:

Ichiro A said...

LMAO! That picture is great! :)