Monday, August 13, 2007

Avalanche!!

Let's take a ride in the way back machine, shall we:
Sing it with me kids!

Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh-no
I got to keep on movin'
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh-no, I got to keep on movin'

So for no particular reason, that's the song thrumming around in my head this morning. Star's already sick of it, because I only know that one verse, but I figure it's enough to get me through the day. Wait until I sing it at today's meeting at NSI! Then they'll see what I'm made of. uh yeah.

So...this weekend was relaxing, productive and comical all rolled into one and it was just what the Dr ordered (although I had asked him to order some Valium or something, so the whole "productive" thing does kind of pale, but I digress)

Saw the Bourne Ultimatum Friday night at the historic landmark Senator theater, which was a pretty cool little place. I would go back, but they only show one movie at a time so it won't be until they change flicks. Anyhoo, the movie was pretty good. I haven't seen the other ones, which some people claim make a difference, but seriously. Matt Damon, shooting people and throwing them around and beating them up. Worth my 9 bucks (off topic 9 FUCKING BUCKS FOR A MOVIE NOW), and I left the theater happy.

Saturday was a whirlwind of thrift stores, yard sales and woodsy jaunts with the dog. I actually struck WAY out at the thrift stores and yard sales, which was sad. I have been looking for some ways to spruce up the Baltimore office (my house) and I'm interested in some furniture for the place so I can move around what I have. I found the 2 coolest most comfy chairs for 25 bucks each but they were JUST being sold as I strolled up. boo!!! so close! Anyhow, not wanting to return home empty I jumped at the opportunity to check out the much touted H&H Surplus Campers Haven store and SCORE! I got a ton of crap, some of which I actually needed. Big blue bag full of stuff for 25 bucks. So that took the edge off some, and gave me stuff to play with for the rest of the afternoon. Topped off the day with run through some woods with the dog and a grilled cheese and tomato courtesy of Paper Moon Diner, curled up with a book and pretty much called it a day.

Sunday was pretty sweet, but much the same. Woke up early and cruised around solo to take advantage of the little bit of coolness and silence the morning had to offer. Met some cool people, got some info on a sweet indoor bike rack I saw while looking in someone's window, when unnoticed by me, the dude was sitting right there next to the window while I was looking in. We chatted for a bit about the problem's of hanging women's bikes up and he pointed me in the right direction to get what I need.

I hit another yard sale and totally scored! 3 of those Ikea hidden wall shelves for 5 bucks! I don't know where I'll put them but I knew I needed them. (what I didn't factor in was the 12 blocks back to my car I would have to carry them, but they were totally worth it!) Then I explored the previously uncharted territory of the Farmers Market under the expressway. Hot damn, I have found my new farmer's market! I usually go to the Waverly one, but this shits on Waverly. I mean, it's not walking distance so I'll still go to Waverly sometimes, but it just seems so Junior League now. Anyhow, I picked up some flowers for the garden at $1.00 a pot because the end of season is approaching. That's actually exciting, because the empty box has been bugging me and I've been holding out for a specific flower I was having trouble finding. So I found it, and for a buck! I also got a Foxtail Fern for the house, because in my redecorating frenzy I've been looking to round out the plant collection with some new stuff. The Foxtail -which is gorgeous but a little creepy when you transplant it because there's all these little sacs in the soil which kind of skeeve me out- fits the bill perfectly and is going to look smashing in my room. If I can ever find my camera again I will post pics.

Then I spent the rest of the afternoon working in the yard: planted the Hibiscus I bought, potted some houseplants, finished up the last of my garden box with the previously mentioned cheap ass plants, and hacked my bush/tree thing out back to pieces. As expected, there was one small incident, see artist' s rendering below (later because I'm out of time!).

Capped off the evening by making dinner, Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic. Yeeeeeaaah buddy! It was delicious, but took much longer than I thought to make. Also, my recipe called for a lot of Olive oil- 2/3 cup and I think I would use less next time for sure. Other than that, delicious! I love roasted garlic. Smear it on some bread and dipped in gravy and I'm in heaven.
And I got individual dessert servings of Creme Brulee for me and some delicious Chocolate Boule thing for my companion.

Then, secure in the knowledge that I had Gotten Things Done and Been Healthy this weekend I turned in to get a decent night's rest to prepare for today. Meeting Pa Looza.... blech.

No comments: