Saturday, January 26, 2008

If you're going to the hood today, you probably need to bring your axe.

this is not me. but so you get the idea.


So. In Oregon this week for work. Loving the change of scenery, but me stomach is having a bit of a hard time adjusting to this new time zone. As a result, I keep getting hunger pangs at really odd hours. I spent most of Weds and Thurs in meetings, and was frequently seen leaning over to my boss to let him know I'm hungry. This starts roughly at 10am and continues on until he calls some sort of adjournment to the festivities for food, or shares with me some of the candy in his pocket, which he is not wont to do.

He calls me "tater tot" because once when we went out to eat for a work lunch I ordered tater tots, and he found this hilarious. But I am not ashamed, because tater tots are delish. fucking right.

So our days this week pretty much went like this

10am: Me, midmeeting, in a whisper "I'm hungry"
him, in his good old boy southern accent "tater tot, I swear. You're always hungry"
Me: "hmmph"
Me: "can I have a piece of that candy?"
him: "this is my last piece. no"
Me:"hmmph"

10:20am
Me: "Marc. really, I'm hungry"
him: "I know, tater tot."
Me: "hmmph"

etc and so on pretty much every 15 min or so. Misery loves company, and being hungry makes me sad. Suffering shared is suffering halved, so I try to keep him real involved.

noon
Me: "Marc, I think I'm dying. I'm starving. for real. please. Can you hear that? That's my stomach."
him: "Guys, I think we better break. Tater tot's hungry and she's freaking out."
Me: "It's true. I'm freaking out"
him: "She gets cranky when she's hungry. we better get her something to eat"
Me:"It's true. It makes me sad and angry. Can we stop at that Subway like RIGHT NOW?"

The upshot of this is that the customers we were visiting know him from way back and so because he thinks this is amusing, so do they. Next time I will go prepared, and bring my almond stash, which I almost always have in my work bag, specifically because I totally start to lose it when I'm hungry.

Hunger and the need to pee: I can not deal with these.

Friday, my meetings somehow got canceled and so I was able to skip out on the afternoon and go snowshoeing on Mt Hood. AWESOME.

You'll have to take my word for it until one of the people I went with sends me the pics I took when I commandeered his camera, but they're awesome. It was way fun, and I can now say I have:
-snowshoed
-explored Mt Hood
-glissaded
-learned and practiced the art of arresting a fall with an ice axe.

Again: fucking right.

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

I'm sorry? Why are these meetings not catered? You are expected to sit there and act interested and professional and there isn't any food or drink? I mean, how hard is it to call Subway before the meeting and have them make some tasty little sandwiches for the meeting? Maybe it's time to explain to your boss what "give and take" means. You might try running "compromise" by him as well. Besides, it's not like you are asking him to make said tastiness.