Monday, December 3, 2007

Monday, monday

Let me start this show by saying BRRRR! For no particular reason, this year I've decided to see how long I can go without turning on the heat. Seriously, there is no reason I just apparently have issues. Anyhow, it's 48 degrees in the house right now and I'm wearing a hat, boots, a scarf and 2 bathrobes, under my blanket under my computer (blessed be the Windows spaceheater!). I think I can go another month or so, this is totally livable, I'm not even wearing a coat yet. My fish are in semi-hibernation mode and I think it's because the water's cold. People keep asking why I'm doing this: I have no answer dammit!

So I'm finally back home after an adventure filled couple of days. This weekend was that traditional time of gifts, love, and gluttony known as Slob Thanksgivmas. I spent Friday night preparing the T-Shirts (I had to pause from making my GIANT HANDMADE QUILT to make some T-shirts. Because I am the golden craft god SUCKITJH) The T-shirts came out smashing, will post piccies soon. I might be onto something with this T-shirt business. I bought extra transfers and am already looking around to see what else I can make.

Saturday began mostly innocuously, my flight out was at 830, so I got to the airport around 7:30, brezzed my carry on having, pre-checked in self right through securi-tay and went to hang out by the gate. Then I was struck by how many people were milling around and I thought "uh oh" Checking around for a status monitor, I was struck by the fact that the money AirTran saves for you seems to cost you in terms of information and helpful people. Sigh. After asking 3 people, I was finally able to find someone who knew *some* stuff about my flight. More specifically I was told "you're being delayed I don't know how long I don't have time for this right now" Fine (bitch), I'll be at the bar. And don't leave without me!
For those of you with issues regarding day drinking, let me explain: There is no "morning" on vacation. And I was on vacation. The *second* my foot hits international air terminal soil, all things "acceptable" and "normal" cease to bind me. Things like "breakfast cocktails" and "wet breakfast" become totally ok. DON"T JUDGE ME!!!

so where was I? Oh yes, at the bar, having breakfast:
Mmm. Fruit juice, with vegetables and stuff. mmm.



So, after a round of fruit juicy delicious spice drink and witnessing some fantastic harassment of one bar employee by the other 5, I wandered back to the terminal to get an update on my travel plans. In the end the delay would total an hour and I still had time to kill. A little airport shopping (a serious hobby of mine) and some knitting (BECAUSE I AM A GOLDEN CRAFT GOD!) later and it was time to board. Flight =1hr, some bumps, nothing memorable. Except getting my whole own row and being able to put my feet up and enjoy myself a little. Woohoo!

Slob thanksgiving ensued and that has to be it's own post once I get some pictures. There's just too much to tell. The short version is I got the dinner I deserved on Thanksgiving and I might be over the whole goose thing. I ate until I was paralyzed, and I would do it all over again.

Sunday was a treat because I LOVE SLUMBER PARTIES and especially the morning after slumber parties. We hung out, had coffee, cinnamon rolls, more girl chatter before most people wrapped up and shoved out. Jenn and I are not most people, and we made ourselves quite at home on Holly's couch until mid afternoon, when we checked to find out my flight home was going to be delayed (Boo airtran!). I tried calling the airline to see if I could work out some arrangement that would mean I didn't just have to go sit at the airport for the extra at least 2 hours, but the girl on the phone was not much help. She told me she couldn't help me for less than $100 and that she didn't really understand what I was asking her and she didn't think I was making sense. I told her what I was asking did make sense if she thought about it, and that I doubted that her being confused was so infrequent an event that I needed to look inward for the reason. I left her pondering that one and hung up, then made my way to the airport. I decided as a gesture of conciliation that I would split the time with AirTran. They said I was going to be delayed 2 hours, so I went to the airport 1 hour late. Only I ended up being delayed 3.5 hours, so I guess they won in the end. It's ok though, I'm going to write them a letter. And since I'm right on a lot of major points, I'm hoping for a credit of some sort. Wish me luck!

So I finally got to Baltimore at 10:30 last night, instead of 7pm, which is not the same. I had planned to work more on the quilt, but there is a child in the rowhouse next door and I think my sewing machine would wake her*. Plus, I was tired from my long day at the airport. On the plus side though, I did finally knit through an entire skein of my alpaca yarn, which is rapidly turning into a big smushy, warm, soft scarf. Might be a xmas present, but very likely for myself.

For reasons including but not limited to this "I need to be sewing in the middle of the night" I think I am moving the craft studio at least partially to the basement. In addition to logistical concerns, the current location is also the coldest room in the house, and even with the windows all shrink wrapped n shizz when the wind blows in the winter, shit moves in the craft room. It's just not feasible that I'm going to work in there in the cold. The basement however is underground, near the heater, hot water tank and the dryer and remains a pretty reasonable temp year round. Plus is wind free (yay!) I think winter craft headquarters is down there. Not to mention HN's patio set. I stole it when he wasn't looking and figure that would make the perfect winter craft table. And so it shall be. But probably not today. I'll post pics when it's time.


2 comments:

Ichiro A said...

Some day I see you running your own Alpaca farm LOL! When are we all moving somewhere warm all year long?

The Great Explorer said...

Hey man, get your fish a heater of sorts. Their water temperature shouldn't go below 60. They'll freeze to death. I always put mine on those reptile heating pads that stick to the bottom of fish tanks. Well, I don't anymore, but that's all in the name of fish love and brilliance. If you put the heat source on wood, elevate it or the heat ends up wrecking the wood. Common sense, I know, just saying...