Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I should be working, and yet here I am(the short version, I have not yet been fired)

Surely I've used that line before. It's such a common thought string around my head. I'm down in NC today, where I came for a couple of reasons. To a minor degree I came because my boss said I had to, because we are having an open house for people in the community to come see what we are about, and they decided I should be here because I apparently give a rather winning fake smile and they thought they needed some estrogen on hand so it doesn't look like a damn meeting of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes or something.

But, the most pressing of these reasons was to tell my company that I will not be relocating to lovely North Carolina come the fall. It had been something they had planned for me, and I had even planned for myself until kind of recently, when I spent a week down here and realized that as much as I love churches and strip malls, I do need more out of life than a place with several convenient escape routes and more God per capita than anywhere else I have ever been (except Illinois and Oklahoma).

Besides, Baltimore is growing on me. Kind of like a fungus, but not one of those horrible fungi. A nicely colored fungus, slow growing (*slow*) but it has happened, and I am enjoying myself and I want to stay for a while. I'm tired of moving and I don't like Wake Forest, I'm finally making friends in B'more and I'm happy where I am and ready to be settled for a while (ok fine, and I met a boy) and so I came to tell them that I was not moving. I was a little afraid I would get fired but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. So yay!

and furthermore, as an aside: I am big time now. I have a stalker! another el yay!!
As another aside: this may be the year of the pig, but it is the week of the run-on sentence. You should see some of the emails I'm sending out from work, it's great. The best part is, I am completely serious. ha.

So anyhow, because I can stall like noone else I know (except all my closest friends and several people I work with) I got here to NC late last night. I was a little punchy from all the coffee I drank to stay awake on the ride, but I was finally able to get some sleep with the help of Benadryl (another shout out to cold and allergy meds, woot!) and my friend Jake said I was like Johnny Cash, with caffeine to stay awake and benadryl to go to bed. Supposing caffeine is like amphetamines (ok, I see this parallel) and Benadryl is like downers (again, I'm with you), I can see the JC reference. I usually use Elvis but I like the Johnny Cash better. So I'm like Johnny Cash now, ok everyone?

and that sadly is all the time I can afford to waste right now. There are people looking at me, and I have just given them The Hand and tried to look busyt but they are not going away and so I have to wrap this up before they come to see what I am working so hard on. (ha, i totally said hard on)

I'm sure I will be reporting back later on the excruciating affair of the open house tonight. At least there will be wine, and I will have had another 3 cup of coffee day by then so it should be a trip, of one sort or another.

oh! and! Crazy Aunt Purl wrote a book! I don't care who you are, that's exciting.

2 comments:

elinor said...

Baltimore's a nice place. I've lived here all my life, and I like it. It has its ups and downs. That said, I'm kind of ready to get out of here (see "college"). ^_^ And I figured it was only fair to stalk you some if you felt like you were stalking me. Feel better!

The Great Explorer said...

slacker