Thursday, March 29, 2007

the prisoner speaks

day 5: my captors continue to torment me. I'm still (always?) at nameless soulsucker institution and today I think Satan cashed in the second mortgage he took out on my soul.

It's hour 5 and I have yet to see a single patient. I'm waiting for one last specific condition and none have come through. Then my photographer was taken off the case for 2 hours when one of their cameras blew up and he had to fix it. If I believed in God, I would know he was laughing at me right now.

On the plus side though, I overslept this morning. Now I know that's not usually a plus but it was today for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that I needed sleep. It also means this is hour 5 instead of 7, and I'm pretty sure the thin thread of my sanity is largely maintained by this.

I've actually managed to be productive here today, so I'm not fussed about being here per se; it's the whole idea of having to work for a living that's getting to me. I hate *having* to work. If I were rich I would still work, it would just be fun, because it would be my choice (this is somethign I'm really feeling lately. I just want to do whatever the hell I feel like doing, and nothing that I'm told to do). Like I would work at Wal-Mart as a greeter, or McDs or somewhere else where the pay was for crap- and I would be as rude as I wanted to anyone who came in and had it coming. I wouldn't just be bitchy, but I would definitely give it to those people who everyone knows deserve it, but noone ever says anything to them because the customer's always right and you'll get fired if you tell them to fuck off like you should. In fact, anyone who ever uttered the words "the customer's always right" would immediately be subject to ridicule and harrassment. "Customer's always right my ass, fire me" would inevitably be written under my photograph on the "DO NOT HIRE" list in fast food joints across the nation.

Sigh. But as it is, I do have to work for a living. For now. I'm not giving up my lotto dreams.

I've actually been learning between bouts of productive - though not photographic- working today. Wikipedia surfing about rods, cones, color vision, night vision, circadian rhythms etc. I've learned lots of new big words, and wasted copious amounts of time WITH results no less: since eyes are what we do, finding out how they work is productive right? Plus, it's Thursday, which as you all know is my favorite day. Shows tonight, climbing tonight, tomorrow's Friday, sigh.

I love Thursday and it loves me back.

Grrrr.

1 comment:

The Great Explorer said...

You are a broccoli eater. Meaning the oh so tasty porkchops and potatos are coming up to get the nasty taste of broccoli out of your mouth. But not until you eat the broccoli. And desert is a long way away...

I personally like broccoli. If that is true for you, pick something you don't like to eat to help this mental image along.

Keep typing. It's like heaven in my eyes. As a captor, I don't usually say things like that.