Thursday, March 8, 2007

torturing little old ladies and puppy dogs

So I sacrificed what was left of my soul last night.

Well yesterday, too. Spent the day finishing out patient photography at nameless soul sucker university. The thing that sucks is that most patients are like 100 yr old ladies and really sweet (although there was one stinker and 2 *nasties* during the day). Anyhow, this sucks because what I'm doing basically requires the photography procedure they're having to take 4 times as long, and it's not that fun. I've done it a bunch, the pictures SUCK to get done and it's supposedly worse for the old ladies. Anyhow, this tiny sweet practically blind little old lady thanked me yesterday for helping make research better and I was completely mortified. I don't know why, I just feel like since I'm not the guinea pig (and since I'm almost totally in this for the money -ha!) that I should be thanking her. I mean, I like that my job has a noble outcome, but that's not what it's really about for me on a daily basis. It was nice to have that outlook for a minute, maybe I'll nurture the fantasy and see if it helps motivation. Damn, I'm all mushy. Must be time for pierod, lol.

So this morning, I am waiting for the plumbers again. Seems like Thursday is my pipe day, which is sweet because worst case I don't have to go into the hospital until late, and best case they take all day and I can't leave.

I *really* hope they fix it today though. I need a 25 minute shower, I'm just so sad without 2 good hot showers a day.

So, then last night I noticed Star's knee thing was still swollen. I poked and pressed it and decided there was more fluid in it, and that another drainage session was in order. So I sterilized the stuff and poked a hole in her and nothing happened! Well, a couple of things happened actually but one of them was not fluid and relief, which was *really* what I was going for. Instead, I poked my poor dog with a needle, it didn't even work and she spent the next 15 minutes being all sad and "what did i do to deserve this". I also think that she probably wanted to bite me when I poked her. I totally can not blame her, I would totally have had it coming! Thankfully though, I have catlike reflexes (and a patient, broken shell of a dog) so she didn't bite me.

She's still a little pissed this morning, she wouldn't get out of bed. She doesn't usually get up at the same time I do, she's more of a 830-900 riser so I usually work (or fuck off on the web) and catch up on emails when I get up, have some coffee, then go get her. It takes about 5 minutes to get her up, and usually involves a 3-5 minute belly rub and some enticing phrases like "are you hungry?" or "do you want to go out?"

So this morning she was not interested in the least in getting up. No interest.

Fun Freedom Fact: Now that Adam's gone, I *never* make the bed. And I love it!
Also, I sleep sideways, diagonal, and upside down ALL THE TIME, just because I can.
I'm a rebel.

No eye contact, no tail wagging. I was totally getting the cold shoulder. I got in her face, she looked right through me:


At this point I figured out she was playing possum -and playing to win- so I decided to play dirty and just blatantly harrass her with the camera.

Work it! Work it baby!!


It turned out she needed some serious individual attention. Mostly because I was bored, but also partially because I needed her to get up and go out soon so when I lock her up when the plumbers come, I climbed into bed with her and started being super disruptive. It's really one of my specialties and the dog is one of the few who truly appreciates it. I love pits and other dogs with giant heads because they have so many muscles they can make (or I can hallucinate) more facial expressions than other dogs. And Star heaves great, heavy sighs when she's really annoyed but can't do anything about it, like when I climb into bed and start playing "I'm not touching you" when she's trying to sleep. She's like the imaginary friend/little sibling I never had to play with and torture. Apparently I have youngest child issues and I need someone to irk. Amazing how it works out isn't it? :o)

Anyhow, I got into bed, bugged the dog for a few minutes then offered a sincere apology for poking a hole in her with a hot needle last night (man, I suck!). She forgave me, we had some tummy rubbin' and then I happened to notice I could see us in the mirror so I thought I would take this picture of the 2 of us, since you can never have too many of those. You are seeing some of my finest work garments here, I'm dressed to the ones and making moves! My teddy bum sweat pants, my mario's pizza hoody and my Uggs. of course!


No comments: